Derek Jeter and His Selfishness
Derek Jeter has become one of the most respected athletes in the world of pro sports. He’s always conducted himself in a respectful manner, never cheated on his wife (A-Rod), and the most important: he never took steroids. Or did he? Nah, just joking; he’s definitely never taken PED’s. That’s the main reason why he’s so respected not only around the league, but in the USA as a whole. If you ask a neighbor, family member, or friend that doesn’t watch baseball, he/she will still know who Derek Jeter is, and they will respect him as well. A-Rod was always a scumbag; he was always doing something wrong whether it was cheating on his wife, taking PED’s, or having a bad attitude towards the media (LeChoke James). On the other hand, Jeter never did any of those things. 90% of the baseball world views him as one of the classiest guys in the league; the other 10% are Red Sox fans. I’m a big Mets fan, however I still have respect for Jeter, even if the Yanks always have a better record than us, even if Jeter gets 10 hits in a game, I will still respect him because he’s been one of the best pure hitters in the league without the use of PED’s.
Although we all respect Jeter, we have to realize the truth: at this point in his career, Jeter is being selfish. As you may already know, Jeter is 6 hits away from joining the 3,000 hit club. This milestone would easily launch his career into the HOF, no question. Hell, if he retired right now, he’d still be in the Hall. Yesterday, Jeter injured his calf yesterday on his 2,994th career hit. He was so giddy and excited to get to 3,000 that he would give 200% effort if he had to, just to get to 3,000. As a result of this effort (plus his old-age of 36), Jeter sustained an injury. You may see this differently, but I see it like this: Jeter pushed himself, knowing that he might get injured, NOT thinking about the consequences it would have on his team…He was thinking about himself more than his team (LeChoke James) is what I’m getting at. I don’t like that; I find it selfish and obnoxious. What’s your take on Jeter? Comment in the box below this post.